Sunday, November 6, 2011

Just call me the Milk Maid

Back when I was still pregnant I had talked about how I was going to pump breastmilk for Gianluca. I wasn't sure if it would go that well because it can be difficult to establish a full milk supply by pumping alone. Well, apparently I'm not one of the difficult ones.  I didn't get to start pumping until the day after he was born because of my complications, but that didn't set me back at all. The lactation consultants at the hospital are super helpful. The one that I saw the most told me to get at least 8 pumping sessions in in a 24 hour period and that it didn't even matter if they were evenly timed out. I went by that advice and I've had nothing but success. By about 2 weeks after the birth I was up to over 40 ounces a day. I couldn't believe how much milk I was making!

It does take up quite a bit of time (about 30 minutes/session to get the full amount out), but I've gradually gotten down to fewer sessions a day. And surprisingly, I haven't seen a major decrease in my supply. I'm down to 4 sessions a day and still making between 35-45 ounces a day. The curve ball was thrown in last week, though. I went back to work. So far, I haven't seen a huge change, but I've only worked 2 nights.

I told Sarah I would pump as long as I can, so we'll see if I can work full time and still keep a full supply. I've told myself not stress about it because at least he's gotten as much as he has already. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could make it a full year though?

Brian's parents have been coming to pick the milk up every few weeks and the first time they came down they brought a small cooler. It was kinda comical. I ended up getting our big cooler out of the garage because there was no way it was all fitting in the little one!

I must say, an essential item to have is a hands-free pumping bra. It's let me do things while I pump instead of just sitting their idly. Because of it, I've also done a few things that I've never done before...like pump while in the car...as a passenger aaaand a driver. LOL Yeah, I'm sure it's quite a sight if anyone notices and I'd have some explaining to do if I got pulled over or in an accident, but hey when you're busting at the seams and still an hour away from home you do what ya gotta do, right? : )  The other day, actually, Joe was driving, I was pumping and talking away to him and not paying attention. Well, we drove by a group of junior high age girls who apparently saw me. Joe starts laughing and says, "You just totally grossed those girls out. You should've seen their faces!" Eh, whatev. Someday, they may be in a similar situation. If not, then they at least had a funny story to tell their other friends. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment