Wednesday, August 31, 2011

35 Week Ultrasound

I had my final ultrasound today to get an estimate of the baby's weight and how much amniotic fluid he's floating in.  Oh, and to check his position. Last time, at 29 weeks he was transverse. I knew he wasn't like that anymore because of the shape and feel of my belly. And, lo and behold, he did just what he was supposed to do...flipped to the head down, or vertex, position.  Yea! This was good news because if he was breech we'd be scheduling a c-section.  So, now we just have to pray that I go into labor on my own to make things easier, since I'm going to VBAC.  I've been having contractions fairly frequently, more than I remember noticing with my last pregnancy, so I'm hoping they're actually doing a little something to get my body ready for labor.

Anyways, back to the ultrasound. The estimate of his weight was 5 pounds 13 ounces (+/- a pound) and he was measuring exactly 35 weeks. That boy has been spot-on with his gestational age every time!  From here on he'll gain about half a pound a week, so I'm guessing he'll be between 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 pounds when he's born.  Sounds perfect to me : )

My fluid level was 18cm, which is in the normal range, high normal, but still normal. Way less than when I had Grace. With her it was 31cm. And I'm sure that was accurate because, oh boy, when Dr. Bishop broke my water it was a FLOOD!  Even as a nurse, I don't think I've seen a patient with so much fluid.  So, as long as I keep my blood sugar within normal range we should be ok.

We tried to get some good face or profile pics of him, but the little stinker was covering his face with his hands and at least one foot! Amazing how flexible babies are.

It's hard to believe he'll be here so soon. I can't wait for his Mommy and Daddy to meet him!

No comments:

Post a Comment