Thursday, July 21, 2011

Carb Counting, Here I Come...

I had a good feeling it was going to happen, and today I found out for sure...I failed my one hour glucose test. The cutoff is 130 and mine was 163. That's the highest one I've had out of any of my pregnancies. Normally I would do a 3 hour test to confirm that I have gestational diabetes, but given my history with my last pregnancy we decided that I might as well just see the diabetic educator and start monitoring my blood sugars. I don't recall if I've shared it before, but with Grace I failed my one hour test, but passed my 3 hour test with flying colors...however, Grace ended up weighing 9# 2 oz and I had an excessive amount of amniotic fluid. Both were pretty good indications that I was probably diabetic with her too, just more borderline maybe since it wasn't detected by my 3 hour test.

So, there goes one of my top five things I love about being pregnant (Remember from my last post?) I will no longer be able to eat whatever I want. Phooey. Ah, well. Just gotta think about keeping this little guy healthy.

On a good note, I had another ultrasound today and my placenta is definitely not covering my cervix or really even close enough to it to be a problem.  The baby was in a transverse position, meaning he's laying across my belly instead of head up or down. This is not concerning to me because he still has plenty of time to flip, but when he does I'm just hoping he settles in head down, so we can still plan for a VBAC.

All in all, things are moving right along and the baby looks great. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment